Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The nasty stuff

Went to the new doc today and the good news is that the "thing" on my spine looks like a ruptured disc. The problem is that there is still melanoma in my lymph system. At this point it is growing so fast that operating would not be a good option. So I gave 10 pounds of blood for tests and will do a brain mri, nuc stress test, bone scan, and pulmonary function test this week to make sure that I can do the chemo(interleukin-2). If all is ok I will go into hospital for a week and get  the infusion and then home for a week and then back in hospital for another week and then wait a few weeks and get scanned again and if it is working go back for another round of the same. This is the only insurance approved treatment for what I have. The success rate is about 10% but the doc says that it tends to be long term solution (when it works). There is another drug that has a higher success rate but they don't know how long it lasts. It is still experimental and the insurance probably won't pay for it. But there are some clinical trials available if the insurance won't pay. So if the interleukin doesn't work we'll try that as well.

The side effects of the interleukin are pretty nasty "like having the worst flu plus". So we will do it and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

E. M. Atwater said...

Our prayers are with you, buddy - keep us posted!

Carver said...

I have already responded to your post on the MPIP but thought I'd comment here too. Farm Colony is such a great concept. I enjoyed your photographs so much. I have stage III melanoma (only one positive node) and can only imagine how upsetting it must be to find out that you are having a recurrence after all these years. There have been some good sucess stories from people on the MPIP who have done IL 2 and other who are long term stage IV survivors who have done a variety of clinical trials. I am glad you found that site as there are some very knowledgable and supportive people who post there. Best wishes, Carver

Anonymous said...

Roger,

Please let me know how I can help! If you like I will come down and sit with you. Ask Rose what she needs to have done around the farm... tell me...I'll be there!!

Sully

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit to your blog, but I think it is wonderful. I am amazed at your ability to stay positive. Hope is everything. We think and pray for you often. Love, Bob & Val