Thursday, June 29, 2006

June 29 - The guitar box complete

This guitar is inspired by and modeled after the C.F. Martin OM that was designed in 1929. I started working on it about six months ago. I did not put a whole lot of time in this spring because of farm activities. The next steps are to build a neck and cut the neck to body dovetail joints. I've never done that before (my dobros have bolt on necks) so it may take a while. Greg I has volunteered to help if I get stuck.








This is a sitka spruce top from Mario DaCosta located in Terrace BC. It is really a fine top material. The top is domed at a 16' radius











This is the rosette. I'll need to figure out how to do real close-ups with this camera. The inner and outer rings are actually three rings each of black/white/black the center ring is abaloney between two more rings of black/white/black










The back is mahogany. I got this wood from a local luthier friend Greg I. This is actually the second back. The first one exploaded before I got it glued to the sides. I thing I did a poor job of gluing the braces on the back and did the gluing while the humidity was high. The back is actually doamed at a 26' radius. Some really nice figure!







The sides match the back and came from the same piece of mahogany. I bent the sides with a heat blanket, controller and timer. I found this equipment on the luthierforum.com web site. A great place to find everything from specialized tool to expert help to lots of encouragement.











Here is the ebony end graft with ebony binding on the top and bottom. It's difficult to see but there is also white/black/white perfing.











This is the binding and perfing along the top. I kinda got carried away so there are a number of lines here. It's actually ebony binding with white/black/white and black/white/black perfing. I think the white/black/white would have been plenty.











This is a close-up of the side showing the binding and perfing. The whole box get some scraping and fine sanding befor the finish goes on.

No comments: