Thursday, July 20, 2006

Band Camp!

I signed up for band camp! Going to attend the fourth week (bluegrass) of Augusta at Davis and Elkins college in central West Virginia. I will take the intermediate/advance dobro sessions which is going to be taught by LeRoy Mack. He is one of my favorite people as well as a real good dobro player. He played in a group called Kentucky Colonels back in the sixties. Was even on the Andy Griffith show before the "Darlings" showed up. His band included the great Clarence White on guitar and his brother Roland on mando. After that gig he settled in California and started a group called the Born Again Bluegrass Band which was active until a few years ago when one of the members died. I actually attended a camp about five years ago (Common Ground on the Hill) with LeRoy as the master dobro teacher. A really great experience. He does a song called “I Don't Want a Praying mantas love affair”. Bet you can figure that out ... especially if you are the guy! ;-)

The camp will be the week of the 30 th and Rose has her 40 th class reunion on the 5 th of August so I'll leave from camp and meet her in Gauley Bridge. After that I'll go on down to Huntington to visit my mom and brother. I WILL remember to bring the guitar for my bro!

I've been out in the shop practicing building guitar necks. I'm getting close. Right now I have the dovetail cut and the neck fit pretty close to where it needs to be. I cut the channel for the truss rod and roughed out the shape on the bandsaw. Currently gluing ebony on the backside of the peghead (haven't done that before). When I get that done I can carve the rest of the neck. I guess I should take some pictures.

Really sad news ... Pat's dad died Monday morning (Sully's wife). They will both be at Augusta so hope it provides some comfort ... music does that!

No comments: