Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Wells, grass and corn

It has been so hot here that not much moves outside. I got up early Sunday and cut some grass. I was back inside by 7 am. Yesterday evening I met Ray and we fed the heifers and bulls and took some food down to the chickens. There are only four chicken left but the fox seems to have given up on trying to get them. Needless to say egg production has dropped off (from about 24 per day to just a couple). I think we are going to wait on Teressa's father to move into his new house before we purchase some more. Teressa and her husband Smith are currently visiting her family out west. Her dad is going through treatment for prostate cancer.

Don's daughter Susan and her husband Lennard have begun the process of moving into his house. He has gotten to the point of requiring assistance in his everyday processes plus he needs to go to dialysis 3 times a week. So they have been getting maintenance stuff done to the house. The basement waterproofing and re-tile should be completed today. The kitchen has been re-tiled and looks real good. In the process of dealing with the basement all of the water conditioning equipment needed to be moved . They discovered that the well was pumping too much sediment so the well guys showed up today to fix the problem. They need to replace the well pump and all of the galvanized pipe. The well is out in the woods and took quite an effort to get to.

This morning I decided to go down to the garden and "hoe" the second planting of corn. I used the little Mytas tiller and it did a great job. But it is so hot and humid that I was soaked by 8 am. We have tons of green beans that should already be picked. Maybe I'll get out there really early in the morning and harvest some. The only problem is it really kills my back. We could then cook the beans all day, southern style...Rose really likes them done that way. I may try to freeze some as well.

I have been spending a little time in the shop practicing guitar neck joints. It is unbelievably complicated to get all of the different geometry set up properly. But I am getting closer. I made another jig to do the neck half. I have been practicing the process of slowly adjusting the neck angle, relief and yaw to get the neck set properly and at the same time have nice tight neck to body joints. If this part is done poorly the guitar will not be playable.

No comments: