Saturday, July 01, 2006

July 1 - more retirement activities

I got up early this morning and was out in the garden by 6:45 am. The ground was pretty damp but seemed to be ok to till .... so I did. I have enough room between most of the rows to run my tractor pulled tiller through there. The corn and beens are doing really well. The first corn is showing signs of developing tassels and the newly planted is starting to pop up. The beans are looking really healthy ... I think I planted so much they have overwhelmed the bugs ... we'll see. I picked four tomatoes that had started to ripen but they all had blossom end rot. According to the web this should only happen to the first fruit .... we'll see. The peppers look great! I picked the last of the onions and some beets. The kale needs to be picked as does the last of the lettuce.

We are having a 4 th of July farm party ... maybe I'll make stuff to take that comes out of the garden. How do you cook turnips? Does anyone eat turnips? So it will be kale, wilted onions and lettuce, beets, scalloped potatoes and something to do with peppers.

I put Sully's guitar neck dovetail template together today and tried to cut the dovetail on the neck ... two tries no go. Operator error. Of course I used mahogany vs scrap wood for the test so now I have some nice firewood. I fixed the crack in the top of my red dobro yesterday afternoon. The crack was caused by too much downward pressure by the builder while installing the small round sound screen. The original repair failed because the repair technician made a patch with the grain running parallel to the crack. This same technician has since seen the folly of that approach and used a cross grain patch. After putting the new Beard "Special 29's" strings on I took the dobro down to the orchard where the neighbors have taken to meeting in the evenings to let the dogs play and have a wine tasting. Everyone seems to like the dobro ... not so sure about my playing though.






Beets and Onions


No comments: